Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop MSN messenger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
How can I eliminate MSN messenger form the task bar and also the .NET balloon that appears?

Thanks

Tony

If you put this in the run box "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" it will remove MS Messenger from the system and will not start up any more, but it will need to be reinstalled if you wish to use it again. BTW..even if you remove it, SP1 will reinstall it.

-Mat

Right-click it, and choose options or properties or something like that. If you can't find what you're looking for there, open up MSN Messanger and choose options or properties from the menus.

There, you can get rid of the notification area icon, choose all of the message options, and (this was a bigger deal to me) get it to not auto-start, or run in the background without your permission.

Thanks for your replies, I have used both methods with success on multiple XP computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back