Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop employees from listening to online radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

french44

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
Is there a way to prevent employees from listening to online radio broadcasts?

It's getting to be too common for everyone in the office to listen to the radio online, which is consuming all our bandwidth. We have tried explaining the problem to them and it works for a week. After that they are back on them.

I wasn't sure if there is a way to stop that through the firewall but still allow internet access.

Dont think its possible considering they all work on browsers which use port 80 and if you restrict port 80 browsers quit working. My advice is add the music sites to a restricted site so it blocks them. You might ask this question in this forum as well and get better response.

Ask here forum83

You need to install a proxy server, block the sites there and point your internal browsers to the proxy for internet access.

The answer has always been 42

group policy, software restriction maybe? or block audio extensions in the browser?

IT can probably be stopped by putting an access list on the router blocking the port that streaming radio uses . don't know what that is though.

Ports usually vary by site and are usually high. If you block 5000 and above see if that helps

In the future everything will work...

Tell the office emps that the cost of increased bandwidth will become an employee benefit reducing their next raise?

I know there's a way to do this, because the Direct Line did this while I was working there late last year. I just don't know how they did it.

Internet access worked fine, we just couldn't stream radio :-(

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Configure the NIC in each abuser's computer to 10MB fixed, rather than 10/100 auto. That will throttle down their bandwidth usage, and also cause them to stop listening because radio doesn't play well at 10mb. Alternatively, do the same at the switch port, or put the abusers all on an old 10MB hub.

After they stop abusing, then give them back high-speed access with the threat of future slowdowns again if they re-abuse.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back