Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop a zero sum group showing in a pie chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sielah

Programmer
Oct 9, 2007
CA
I have a fairly simple pie chart which shows the amount of my work team spends on each type of work.

The time amount is labelled on the chart as both a value and a percentage.

The problem I have is that some work types end with a zero sum value. This is due to hours being charged and then subtracted.

I can suppress what is effectively an empty group in the text part of the report with a simple formula, but I can't find a way to carry this suppression over into the actual chart.

The chart is therefore trying to include a pie sliece for a group with 0 hours and 0% allocation. This obviously doesn't show up, and looks terrible, because all of the labels and data points overlap with those belonging to adjacent pie slices.

So I think I either need a way to suppress the empty section in the chart, or a way to completely delete the empty section so that the chart doesn't know it's there to begin with.

Any advice?

A pie chart would only show values that contribute in some way to the 100% that the pie represents, so there must be some value remaining in those groups, and logically a pie chart (which must total 100%) cannot ignore those small slices. Create a formula that removes those small amounts like this:

if round(sum({table.timeamt},{table.group})) = 0 then
0 else
round(sum({table.timeamt},{table.group}))

Use this as your summary field for the chart.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back