Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to stop a job running since december 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aking

Technical User
Aug 11, 2002
GB
Hi
I'm running Oracle on windows, server 2003, small database, pretty simple setup.
There are 2 jobs which are running and i can't stop.
I have tried stopping them from Enterprise Manager - it says that they have been stopped: 'Confirmation, Your job has been stopped successfully'. But this message is not corrrect, or at best misleading because the job's are still running. Now they are 'stop - pending'.
I have also tried 'Delete Run' in Enterprise Manager - this hasn't made a difference either.
Next i got all users logged out and shut entire database down, restarted it, the jobs are still there.
Both jobs are v simple - one is a complete backup, the other is a schema export. The entire databse is 6GB and the export is usually about 900MB. Both jobs usually complete in a matter of minutes. As i said we have a simple setup and these jobs are trivial technically. If anyone knows a quick trick for killing old jobs i'd appreciate it.
Metalinks will take 3 days to answer - 2 of which will be me sending irrelevant logs.

I've had to deal with this problem a few times. I've found that following the suggestions in note 430626.1 (How to Force Stop a Stuck Job in Grid Console) will generally fix the problem.

Please note that your issue is strictly a mismatch between the job status in the EM repository and the actual job status. Your jobs are definitely stopped - there is no chance that a database backup or schema export will still be running after a database bounce. The problem is convincing the EM repository of this fact.

Thanks a lot karluk

i'll check that note out tomorrow.
Thinking about it that makes sense, i've had problems before which have been down to EM and not the database. In fact i bet if i just re-install EM - or rather drop it and create a new one - then that would solve it, don't know why i didn't think of that b4....

just in case anyone would like to know....
i dropped the DB control configuration files and recreated them and that has fixed it
unfortunately if you have 10.2.0.4 you also have to apply patch 8350262 so i had to do that too.
but Enterprise Manager has come back up and no longer has any stuck jobs. :)

Thanks for posting back - have a star for doing so!

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back