Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start a webbrowser with URL from field in database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MdeJ

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
NL
Approach 9.5 comes with a smartmaster called "Internet World Wide Web sites" In the database are 500 records. One can add and edit the records. But what is interesting to me is the possibillity to execute the standard webbrowser with the URL from the field. So next to the field http:// filled with for example there is a button. When you click on it the webbrowser is starting up with warnerbross.com in the URL.

I tried to figure out how to apply that in my databases but it is not as simple as adding a hyperlink in a HTML-document...:)

Can anyone give me a clue how this is accomplished?

Is it possible to do it without extensive study in script-programming?

Thank you for your attention.

Easy as pie!

1-Create a macro. The only command used is Open. In the File Name box type <<tablename.fieldname>>, making sure your field is enclosed by two leading &quot;<&quot; and two trailing &quot;>&quot;. (you need to use the tablename.fieldname syntax even if you only have a single dbf w/ no joins!)

2-Attach the macro to a button.

Done

This method does assume that you have a default browser that is registered propperly.

This was the solution I needed. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back