Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start a terminal session on serial port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttest

Programmer
Jun 28, 2000
US
I wanted to use a linux box to control a router through the serial port. How do I start a terminal session and communicate with the router through serial port?

ttest
thum@starwarsfan.com

Minicom (or xminicom) is exactly what you need. But there are a couple things to note -- minicom comes by default ready to use the modem to connect. First thing you need to do -- as root run 'minicom -s' and under 'Serial Port Setup' change 'A' (Serial Device) to '/dev/ttyS0' for COM1 or '/dev/ttyS1' for COM2. You'll also have to change 'E' (Bps/par/Bits) to what you need for your serial device (ie if it is a Cisco router is 9600 8N1 and No Flow Control) - you'll have to play with these settings if you cannot get connected to your device right away.

That is all you have to do, but I also go under the 'Modem and Dialing' and remove everything from the 'Init String' and 'Reset String' - I have seen problems with those, even when using minicom for a serial device.

Finally choose 'Save settings as dfl' and 'Exit from Minicom'.

That will change the system wide settings and you can now launch minicom as a regular user and connect to a serial device.

If you don't have minicom (or xminicom) on your box, take a look at for it.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back