Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to simulate tabcontrol functionality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverspecv

Programmer
Oct 31, 2003
US
I'm trying to rewrite an existing program that is somewhat "graphically rich".. pretty buttons, etc. I figured out how to roll my own button rollovers, but now I need to have a column of buttons running down the left so when you click them then the main content portion of the form swaps out all its controls, so to speak. Basically a home made tab system. I got shot down on using MDI, and they don't like the native tab control either ("too ugly").. I was experimenting using 6 panels that all contain their own controls, and when the user clicks a button on the left, show that one and hide the other 5. But this is kind of tedious, especially with having to put in individual background images, etc. I also experimented with using a real tab control and hiding the tabs under an image, but that's kind of a pain too. Can someone send me down a good general path?

One option is to build 6 user controls. Each of your user controls you populate with the controls you want to display on a tab. Then put a panel next to your 'tab' buttons. On the click events from the buttons, clear the panel and add a control of the type of user control that correlates to that tab.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back