Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to simulate infrared photography in Photoshop 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumHD

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
US
Somewhere in the deep recesses of lost memories I remember seeing in a magazine an easy "How to" on how to simulate the effects of infrared photography in Photoshop. If anyone out there has any experience or tips on this, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

MagnumHD

Hi,

I guess I was wrong about what infrared is, but maybe I'm not entirely wrong. I was thinking that is was the ability to capture heat on film where if you took a picture of a person in the forrest, the natural surrounding would be green and bluish whereas the person would be yellow/orange/red depending on the heat. Is that correct in any way or is that truly thermal imaging? Don't you use infrared to capture that?

Anyway here is a link for you to try:

Hope this helps!
greenjumpy.gif
NATE

Thanks for your answers. They gave me just what I needed. On to the question and confusion - there is a difference between "thermal imaging" which is what y'all have been referring to and the effect that I was seeking. I was looking for the effect when using infrared sensitive black and white film and that's what your leads gave me. It makes for very surrealisting shots especially when there is green foliage in the frame which it reanders a glowing white - very kewl effect. So - again my thanks.

Magnum

Thermal imaging captures heat emission while infrared captures light emissions. So an object that reflects more light will appear lighter in infrared. [soapbox]
sleep is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back