Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to simulate a WAN link between two 1600 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ride98red

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
I am trying to connect two cisco 1600's together to simulate a WAN link. I want to use the serial ports (obviously) to do this, my question is, can this be done using cat5? Does anyone know what the pin configuration is? Or know where I can find articles on this? Thanks for any advice

You need two X.21 cables, one DTE and one DCE! Plug one into each router on the serial interface and join the two cables together in the middle to form a simulated WAN link. Note that the router with the DCE cable will have to do the clocking for the link.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

thanks for the reply chris! However, I have talked to a cisco rep and he informed me that its possible to "simulate" a WAN, using the serial ports, using cat5 cable with a certain pin configuration. This is what I am trying to find out; I know what the necessary cables needed are, however, I want to find out if cat5 cables can be used as an alternative.

thanks again for the advice.

You would still have to use an x.21 end to plug into the serial ports. If you are suggesting trying to solder a CAT5 cable onto a D type x.21 end to make an x.21 cable from a CAT5 cable, then good luck! Most people just use a pre-made x.21 cable! At least then if it doesn't work you know that the cable's not the problem!

I'll see if I can find the pin out!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Here you go ..

Your problem is of course that the pin out requires 6 twisted pairs and CAT5 only has 4 twisted pairs!

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy a couple of X.21 cables, one DTE and one DCE.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

You can do this with either built in CSU/DSUs or external CSU/DSUs and sim a T1 link with the Cat5 cable and the correct pinout.

You can buy a back to back cable for the serial ports for about 30 bucks.. they come in 3 foot and 10 foot lengths from a different number of vendors. Search Ebay for back to back cable.

You can take two V.35 cables.. DCE and DTE, screw them together and have the back to back..

Since the 1600 doesnt have the AUX port, you can forget that trick..

Dont forget the DCE end needs to be the clock.

I have pop up configs on some sample labs that use back to back..

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Hi Mike,
Nice site you got there, very helpful for cisco starters.
I am reviewing your FAQ article @ Tek-tips and found it very useful - although I do still have a few questions.

I am planning to setup to back-to-back my 2500 and my 3640 router using CAB-V35MT and CAB-V35FC,as you suggested :)

Will the configuration below work? I am assuming 2500 will be like the DCE. Will you please supply any missing configuration (ie correct clockrate, DTE/DCE configuration).

2500#
!
Interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
!
Interface Serial0
ip address 10.100.0.5 255.255.255.252
no ip route-cache
clockrate 38400
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0