Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to show VFP 'forms' as classes in Static Structure Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg65

MIS
Jan 3, 2003
US
I'm new to Visio & have been assigned to document a software package project that evolved from Fox2.6 tables/code into a SQL data/VFP front end. So far there is no documenation except for some of the table structures.

I am having difficulty diagramming our "forms". They are 4th/5th generation from the VFP baseclass form and have methods defined in both the child and the parent.. and the grandparent....so on

partial example of one of our forms:
Form (VFP base class)

Form2 (subclass of Form)
-- Adds Logo, background, etc.

Form3 (sub of Form2)
-- Adds a container of horiz buttons (Add, Delete, Update, Cancel, Quit)

Form 4 (sub of Form3)
-- Adds textboxes, buttons, and a pageframe which contains 19 pages (many of which have separate containers with text boxes, grids, option groups, etc.)

Each object (button, page, whatever) on the form has the default methods (most of which contain code), but they also have other defined methods which call other methods, sometimes from other open forms (hidden in the background).

HELP!!. How do I set up the Visio classes to show all this. And how can I show that FORM4.cntHorizButton.save.click() calls Form4.ProcessPage() which calls form4.ValidateInfo() which calls FormA.ValidateAddr() (yes another form's method - it's open in the background)

How do I diagram the interaction/flow/communication/... between the objects on the form (buttons, text boxes, grids, etc) and other objects on the form and the methods from the form.
Can I show the methods of the inherited parent properties/methods that are called by a dodefault().

We also make SQL calls that return one or more rows of data - I haven't even started on that part yet.

The tables/databases section will be pretty easy - it is a normalized relational database (pretty much so).

Either it's pretty ugly, or I'm just missing the whole point of VISIO/UML/OOPs. (or both) Do I even address the "form" or do I show it as a compilation events and break down each event into it's own flowchart. I 'think' I understand the UML/OOPs, I just can't get visio to do what I want...

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Meg65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back