Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to show only the last 4 records of database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioVITAL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2003
PT
i trying to show the last itens i insert into the table ... but without sucess.. can someone help me

thz in advanced

It depends on how your table is defined. In general a concept such as last is void of meaning in a relational database. You cannot assume that records in a table is stored in the same order as they are entered. For this to work you must have a columns that reflects the order in which data was entered, i.e. a datetime or auto_increment column.

select * from t order by c limit 4

to add on to swampBoogie:

Code:
select * from t order by c DESC limit 4
                             ^

depending on the value of c (but I am assuming if its an auto-increment or a timestamp, it will always be biggest at the "end") you want to order your result set to descend from greatest to least, and give you the 4 "greatest".

running on a large oracle dbase with different user applications pulling data fom it. Got stuck on what i thought was a simple issue.

Anyone know how to limt the record set fetched back through a SQL command to the last 10. The records are not in sequence via the auto-increment table key and are selected via a criteria placed against one of the other fields.

I had a go with select top 10 but get the first 10 records of the type requested!!!

Mike

oracle's sql is not the same as mysql's sql

and neither of them is standard sql

i think you'd be better off in the long run posting oracle questions in an oracle forum

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back