Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to show floating box layer at position relative to mouse action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miche7

Programmer
Jan 14, 2003
US
How can I set the floating box layer to become visible at a position relative to the table row/cell where the mouse enter action occurs…(well, actually, the mouse enter action is attached to the .gif that's in the cell)...onward!

Example:
In this index, the floating box "Purpose" layer should show up at a position relative to the table row and "View Purpose" icon where the mouse enter action is. The "Purpose" text should appear just below the document title (table row).

Though the position of these “Purpose” layers can be set in pixels, %, etc., documents will be added to this index in the future, latest ones at top of table. Therefore, this will push down all the existing documents and their related "Purpose" layers. As there may be over 100 documents in this index, and there are many indexes, I don't want to have to re-position every floating box "Purpose" layer every time.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

This can be done using CSS. Considering your page is full of font tags (and a lot of invalid code) i'm guessing you don't know how to use CSS.

I suggest you get a couple good CSS books, i recommmend "Eric Meyer on CSS" and "More Eric Meyer on CSS" and start studying. These books include lessons/examples on positioning that apply to what your trying to do.

I know it's been a while since your post... thank you for the guidance. And yes, I cleaned up alot of code by learing to use CSS.

Thanks,

miche7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back