Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to share two internet connections ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shetoshandasa

Instructor
Dec 25, 2008
EG
Dear Engineers ,

i want to ask you about this question and waiting for you kind reply .

if my enterprise have a Cisco router and wants to make 2 internet connections .

the 2 connections may be both active , or one of them is active and the second is a backup when the first one goes down.

how can i configure that?
Please i need that very quickly and it's urgent , thanks for you help in advance .

The easiest way would be to set a static route for each interent connection, but on one of the static routes specify a greater routing value. If the first default route fails it will use the route with the next lowest value.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10

fill in the 0's with your addys.

thanks alot for your quick reply .
thus according to your answer , the original path will be

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10

and the second ( redundant) path will be :

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ( metric is 1 by default )

right ??

The last 0.0.0.0 represents the next hop in the example, but yes---that is correct.

Burt

please another question .. what about aggregating both connections in one ?

i.e. if i have both of them at 1 Mbps .. how can i combine them to get 2 Mbps connection ?

well i connect both line to the same physical interface but making sub-interface for each one ?

or connect each of them two a specific port !!

in the two cases .. how can i aggregate them using cisco routers ?

thanks in advance

What sort of connection? Same ISP? Same type of connection on both links? These are the requirements---also, the ISP must agree to have the same config. For T1 connections, you can bond them using MLPPP.

Burt

What kind of WAN circuits are these internet connections? I see above you mentioned static routes above is there any routing protocols running? example....BGP?

it's ok , assume same ISP and same Connection ?
what will be the necessary steps !

if differnet ISP and same connection .. what's up ?

if same ISP and different connection .. what can i do ?

just give me the starting steps and i will continue.

i know that i made a headache for you , but thanks in advance

If they are both the same size internet connection regardless of ISP. I would run a routing protocol like BGP with the service provider this will provide and active/active redundant network. If they are diffrent size internet circuit sizes then this would be and active/standby setup.

How to setup BGP you would have to get with your service provider to set this up. They will provide you with some public IP address blocks and and atonomous system number for BGP.

On the the customer router it will look something like this

Conf t
router bgp #####AS Number#####
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x.x
passive interface default
non-passive interface (WAN interface)
neighbor x.x.x.x

oooh , i got it .. i'm really very greatful to you and really got the point
i will focus on it and will start from now :)

The user wants aggregation, not redundancy.
Same ISP, same WAN service, same speed, same MLPPP config on both sides. I know how to do this with T1 links and asynch serial connections, but nothing else. This is the only option for what you want.
For all intents and purposes, a simple floating static route will provide redundancy, and RIP will provide round-robin load balancing.

Burt

i got your point ,
do you mind to write your method down if you have a free time to do that ?

thanks in advance

interface Serial0
description T1 Connection to Router B
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial1
description T1 Connection to Router B
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Multilink1
ip address 192.168.54.1 255.255.255.252

The router it connects to would be like this...

interface Serial0
description T1 Connection to Router A
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial1
description T1 Connection to Router A
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Multilink1
ip address 192.168.54.2 255.255.255.252

You can also aggregate BRI (ISDN) interfaces like this, sort of, but you would use rotary groups. That is still called PPP, though. I imagine you could do this with ADSL with rotary groups, though I never tried it---they use dialer groups the same way as ISDN, basically.

Here is a link on rotary PPP...

The way to do it with asynch serial interfaces (like using WIC-1T interface cards in a router) would be to use a virtual template config, so the ppp can be attached to a virtual interface group, so to speak. I will look for my old notes on that if you need them.

HTH

Burt

thanks alot , i really appreciate your work, you are the best :)

thanks for you efforts

sherif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back