Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to share internet connection on WinNT4.0 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANI007

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
GB
Dear Friends,
here is the setup i had at my home.WinNT4.0 server connected to 4 winXP professional machines.the external broad band line was conneted to cable modem and the remaining connections as followed(sequentially)

cable modem(motorola)---->rooter(linksys;dhcp enabled)------->hub(8 port)------>NTserver(DHCP server) and hub----->XP client machines.

My ultimate goal is accessing internet connection, while i'm connected to WinNT server(DHCP). the internet service provider is:telewest broadband assigns IP and DNS dynamically.
I had mentioned the rooter IP address in WINNT4.0 DHCP server scope options, but still no use.
when i was connected to server, client was assiged with DHCP server assiged ip address and was unable to collect the ip address from rooter,but if i disconnect from server and connect client to rooter through hub, it's working fine.
so , could any one help to setup the client/server, so that i should be able to access both internet and network resources at the same time.
i appreciate your help.
thanks and regards
reddy.

If you have a router which acts as DHCP server - why are you also using NT server's DHCP server - not only do you not need it, its confusing the issue. Just set all the machines to pick up IP address automatically & uninstall NT's DHCP server - so router is assigning all IP addresses. Assuming you have shared resources on each machine, you should now have internet access and sharing over the internal network.

To add: give your Server a fixed IP! or all of them for that matter, for 4 PC's it's not that big a task.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Okay,

Basically, set your gateway up to the of the Linksys router I am assuming its 192.168.1.1, let it give out the DHCP Address, Stop windows NT 4 from giving out Address, you dont need 2 dhcp servers for 4 clients (overkill ;))

Thats the easiest way to do it, that how my home setup is setup ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back