Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO SHARE CONTACTS IN OUTLOOK w/ EXCHANGE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon285

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Can anyone tellme how to share contacts using outlook 2000, and outlook XP in a Exchange 5.5 enviornment. Please let me know. Thanks

I've only done this with Outlook 98 - but I imagine it's the same. It should at least point you in the right direction.

You can assign permissions to other users in Exchange Administrator, but keep in mind this will let those users access the entire mailbox (mail, journal, etc.). The alternative is in Outlook.

In the user's Outlook who wants to share, Right-click the Contacts folder, select Properties, then Permissions. Assign permissions, and appropriate rights to the users you want. Then in those users who have been given access, you need to add the shared user's mailbox to their Exchange Server setup (Tools, Services, Microsoft Exchange, Properties, Advanced, Add...)

Then the shared contacts folder should appear in the folder list.

On this same line, can:

1) a "group" calendar or set of contacts be created in OWA? So particular users assigned to the group will have access to these resources. I haven't had any problem doing this with folders in the public folders area.

2) how does one go about synchronizing the (personal, not group) calendar on the local Outlook Client and the OWA calendar? Is this a setting that is made on the server, or the client, or both. Local entries do not propogate to the server, and vice versa.

3) assuming a group calendar is possible, and synchronization is also possible (question 2), can the group calendar synchronize, and if so, how does the synchronization handle conflicts between the individual and group calendars (eg, the individual has an appointment scheduled at a time which conflicts with one set on the group calendar)?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back