Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to share an Access DB over a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolineJ

Technical User
Sep 25, 2001
SE
I'm now finished with the design of my DB. I now want to share it with my 25 potential users. We have a network with a server (G) that we all have Access to (certain folders at least).

I would like a tutorial, FAQ or something that can guide me trough this cause I have no clue on where to start. Does anyone know where I can find something about this? I also need to set upp accounts for the users and myself as an adminstrator. I have tried to ask the paper clip with no satisfying results, are there any good help files on this topic? How do i find them?

Any help very appreciated cause the users are getting impatient!

Hi Caroline

your task is easy, jet differcult.
First the easy part.
In access you will find a Database splitter (via tools/database util) this function will spilt you base into a database (backend) and a program (frontend) you may want to reclaim some of the tables for your frontend database.
The front will be connected to the backend however when you move your backend to your server your connetion will be .....lost and here is the hard part.
Do this: Place your backend on your server and open your frontend - goto file, select get external data/link tables - find your backend select your tables and..... your and your users are in business......so where is the hard part ? HERE:
If you on the other hand want your users to be able make ther own connection - you will have to make a function that enables them to perform this task.
I have a function here if you need this we can mail off-line

Can multiple users connect to the backend at the same time?

This depends on the concurrency of the data access --

Jet 4.0 supports Row-level locking... theoretically, the answer to your question is yes...

Hj

:eek:)

Yes, it works with multiple users - I have some similar applications working.
One additional hint I did and could be useful to You. I have one initialization file in each frontend workstation (with same name as FE database, but .ini extension. All frontend databases performs refreshing of links automatically on each startup. From one hand it makes startup slower, but from other hand it makes installing of upgrades very convenient (so called 'back-end database path' contains in initialization file).
But if You do not going to upgrade frontend frequently or Your development frontend connectedt to backend with same path, it is unnneccesary for You.

Hi
Yes multiple users can can access at the same time.
One should, however note that if one is planning a havy-duty-multiple user database, concidder using an SQL server as backend.
This could be done either by using an ODBC driver or turning ones frontend into an ADP (project).

In general when sharing Access apps, it is best to split the database in data.mdb and program.mdb.

Create a new DB.
Import all the data tables that users will update.

If there are staic tables (like a table consisting of all 50 states) that don't usually change and are used for looking up values, they can stay as they will be faster locally that over the network.

Put this file on the network.

In the original application, remove all the tables (that were imported into the new mdb file) and then 'Get External Data' and link the tables in from the new data.mdb on the network.

One thing to watch is when using Access with multiple users (even if the DB is split) you can get corruption. The more users hitting the same data the more likely it is to corrupt. A routine repair and compact of the data.mdb with help some of this.

Nassu,

Is it possible to see a copy of your .ini file and how you call it?

Poctok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back