Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup VPN connection 'tween Win7 & Android? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Setting up the Android side:
I was giving a try to this tutorial: But on step 13 you're asked for username & password, which I never saw where we were supposed to define them. I imagine this is to be defined during the Win7 setup, except that I don't have that tutorial :(

I also found this other tutorial for a Nexus One:
But towards the end, the author just says: "Fill in VPN details such as VPN name, VPN server, etc (the required settings will depend on type of VPN selected)"
... "THE REQUIRED SETTINGS!" That's exactly why I'm making this post now! :(

As for setting up the Win7 side, I found this tutorial:
But then on step 7. it says: "Enter the username and password your VPN provider gave you in the appropriate boxes"... I guess is like in the previous tutorial made by BlackLogic, because is for their clients maybe.

I also found this other one, very different: But there's nowhere any username and password is setup.

Can anyone help please?

JDL

The Windows 7 Tutorial from black logic you link to is telling you how to make Windows 7 connect to a VPN, not how to host one so the android phone can connect to it.

The link for Damian's blog is showing you how to set up the host VPN so the phone can connect to it.

The User Names and passwords there will be whatever users you have defined in Windows. You can then select form that list which ones are allowed to connect through the VPN.

Damian Assumes you know how to set up users with passwords in Windows 7.

So the first thing to do, is create the appropriate users from within Windows.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thank you so much for the explanation vacunita :)
Now it makes sense about the difference between both tuts.

I used both my own User Account's credentials, and my computer's name too. But it's not connecting.
Once I had setup the new connection using Damian's tutorial, the last thing the procedure did was to inform me of the information I would need to connect, which was just my computer name.

When adding a VPN account in the Android phone I use the Incoming IP address found in the Incoming Connection properties of the new connection I created in Win7.

What could be the problem you think?

JDL

Assuming you have performed the Router configuration, to forward the ports to the machine in question, you'll need then to use the IP address that your ISP hands to your Router, rather than your computer name.

That way it connects to your router, which then forwards the request to your PC, which sets up the VPN.

If you are setting up the blacklogic VPN service then its a little different. As you have to go through them.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

you'll need then to use the IP address that your ISP hands to your Router"... and that's when I'm supposed to go to:
:)

It's connected!

Thank you ever so much vacunita :)

JDL

Now this will sound really silly...
But now that I'm connected, what do I use to browse files in my pc, with my phone?
Is there anything else I could do other than send files back and forth?

Thanks,

JDL

You'll need to use a file manager such as eStrong's file explorer.
Its in the App Market.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back