Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup the telnet service???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryam421

MIS
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hi,
I have sunsparc server running Unix7. It is behind a router. I setup the ipaddress within the network. I you xhost program with with my other box and works fine. But I am unble to telnet directly to server.
Somebody told me to change the /etc/services files. But don't know what to change. Also do I need to start any demon?
Please help as I am new to UNIX.

telnet should come up with inetd by default. If you wanna check out which services are coming up, you can look in /etc/inetd.conf and see if it is enabled. (it wont have a hash mark in front of it if it is.) anyway, if its set to come up with inetd, and you cant reach it, your firewall might be blocking it. A lot of places do that now due to security reasons. If thats the case, get port 23 unblocked or use SSH.

This is the following line in my inetd.confg
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd
I am assuming that telnet is open. But when I try to ping it is giving me timedout error. Same goes with unix box. From unix box I cannot ping my NT server. Don't know where to start. Please help.
Thanks

maryam:
1st confirm if telnet is working on the host without going for network.
can check with
$telnet localhost
OR $telnet 0 23
If working,
then look for network issue.

Thanks for the reply. When I try to telnet the unix box got the following error:

telnet 192.168.1.105
Connecting To 192.168.1.105...Could not open a connection to host on port 23 : Connect failed

I think the port is closed. How to open the port? Also how do I know which port the telnet service listining to?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back