Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Setup NetMeeting Across Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeym

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
US
We'd like to use NetMeeting to support various clients across their internal LANs or across the Inertnet. Does anyone have a site or document on how to implement this?

From what I understand we need to host a 'directory server' within each LAN, correct? How would this all work?

Thanks

Hi, leeym!

I've used NetMeeting across the Internet without any issues. I have a Word document that lists the steps to follow, if you'd like it.

No, a directory server is not required if you want to simply connect to 1 particular IP address. Netmeeting will work directly from 1 machine to another by IP.

The directory server acts as an address book to connect people together. It is a convienience that's not worth the trouble for just a few users.

Hakala: Can you send it to marcuslee7 at yahoo dot com?

smah: if we are using NAT, how would we tell the NetMeeting client what to connect to? A public IP simply won't be enough. Unless I am missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back