Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup my desktop as a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordhawkins

Programmer
Sep 25, 2003
SV
I'm new at administering SQL Server. I'm using the 2000 version, that I recently installed in my system.

The central server is running SQL nad it works fine. I can query and connect to their database. The server runs the core apps normally.
As a developer I need to run a database copy locally inside my computer, so I won't botch the data when I do tests.
How must I proceed to set my system as a SQL server?
I've thought that reinstalling the SQL (Personal) i could set it pronto.

Some of the mistakes come as "You're not in a trusted user to the server" or "user [<Who's this guy>] does no exist"

Could someone point me to a "for dummies" site where to take advice?

lordhawkins,

Just install the (same) Sql Server software on you desktop and have at it.

You need to install one of the following.

Developer version
Personal version
MSDE version.

the enterprise version will not install.

Once you have installed one of the above install enterprise Admin from your enterprise Server CD if it has not been done before, and configure your local server as needed.

You will most probably need to change the type of authentication allowed on the server, as well as whether you connect just localy, through Pipes or through TCP/IP, or both.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

One 'gotcha' to be aware of is MSDE installs itself by default with network access DISABLED; defeating the purpose of using it as a server.

Microsoft KB Article 814130 details how to enable network access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back