Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup MGCP with route patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

CableMonkey

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
Hi. I am new to CCM and have a few questions.

I have a CCM 4.1 with 10 remote sites connected via 2800’s. Each remote site has a small number of handsets that register with the remote CCM.

I want to use the existing POTS lines on the 2800 and have the phones call out their respective sites for off-net calls. I have already setup MGCP and the partitions/calling search spaces.

Do I need to setup a route pattern, route list and route group for each site? (or actually multiple RP, RL and RG or each site if I want to block certain calls?) Would I then assign a different partition to each route pattern in order to route calls out a particular site? This seems like a lot of work...looking for an easy way to this.

Thanks, -CM

Do you want to do Toll ByPass or just send each remotes calls out their own Gateway? By Toll ByPass, I mean Site A calling a number that is LD to Site A but local to Site B so the call exits the system at Site B.
No matter if you do TBP or not, you will have multiple RP, RL, RG.

Thanks pndscm. That’s what I was afraid of. Not looking to do toll-bypass, just routing calls out their own gateway. Since I want to get very granular with blocking specific area codes I won’t be able to just do “9@” for each site. I will need to create many route patterns for each site which could get tedious.

A couple more questions:

Can I use BAT to add Route patterns, List and Groups?
Can I use BAT to add gateways and endpoints?
How do I use Bat? Is there a good document that explains it?

You can still do 9.@. You can get very granular using Route Filters. A lot of guys will groan but I use them almost exclusively. In that way you can make 1 or 2 Route Filters of blocked Area Codes and apply them to Route Patterns in each remotes' Partitions.
When I build a new system, I do minimum 4 Route Filters, Local, LD, Toll Free and Blocked Numbers. If I have 5 remotes, I can use these in all 5 remotes. In my Local RF, I have Local_Area_Code_Exists, in LD RF, Area_Code_Exists, Toll Free, Area_Code = 800, etc.
The biggest problem I've seen with RF's is people who try to do too much in one clause or specify unrelated information in 2 clauses of the same RF. I use up to 15 clauses in one RF before I split into 2 RF's. ALL clauses must be related. You can't specify an Area Code in 1 clause and an Office Code in the next claues of the same RF.
I think BAT will add Gateways but I never use it for that. It's just quicker for me to add them individually. I use a checklist for each remote and make sure all RG, RL, RP and RF's are added consistantly. Search Cisco.com for a document on BAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back