Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup hard drives for Windows 7 64Bit? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA

I'm in the BIOS main page, here's a list of the drives. The details shown for each are as follow:

LBA/Large mode,
Block (Multi-sector transfer),
PIO mode,
DMA mode,
SMART monitoring,
32Bit Data transfer.

I assumed it's the last choice I needed, but the only choices it gives are:
Disable and Enable 😢 .
So how could I switch to 64Bit?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710
Motherb: AsusTek M4A78-E

What do you think guys?

I think it doesn't matter at all, that 32-bit drive transfer has nothing to do with Windows 64 bit OS. But you have an IDE hdd, PIO mode (parallel input/output) is a dead give away, and 32 bit is as fast as that bus is going to be. Your CPU supports 64 bit wide bus, and you can get win7 x64 drivers for the motherboard, all you need. I would suggest a sata hdd and use AHCI mode, and the faster xfer speeds, but won't stop you from installing and using windows 64 bit.

Unfortunately I haven't come across anything showing AHCI :(

I hope the following BIOS photos will help:
Not sure which page is this one below, but I suppose you guys would recognize it
Untitled.jpg

sata1.jpg

onboard_devs-conf.jpg

onb_chip_setts.jpg

main.jpg

Advanced.jpg

I think I found it!
Here it says to go to the Storage Configuration in the Main page!
I'll have to wait to tomorrow to try.

JDL

I finally had some time to try this...
As you may recall, I had Windows 8.1 32Bit installed before. I first switched from IDE to AHCI in the Storage Configuration in the BIOS. Then booted up from the Windows Vista 64Bit and went for a full install. It looked like it did it. Then it booted on its own, and got stuck at the prompt to "press any key to boot from dvd". I went back into the BIOS, setup the booting sequence to start from HD and booted again, but then it gave a black screen with nothing but a blinking underscore :-(
I confirmed with Partition Magic that the partition I'm installing in is indeed a Primary partition. It had to be, after all, that's where I had Windows 8 before.
So now what?

JDL

check your dvd drive, it should be on master, and plugged into the ide master port not slave. Check to make sure the partition is "Active". You could always delete the partition and let Windows create the partition when it lays down windows.

rclarke250, thank you so much for advising to make that drive a Master, it really made a difference for the installation. It's all good now.

JDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back