Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup an FTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusStringer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
AU
Hi guys,
I have a client who wants to setup an FTP site on their end.

They have a spare OSX10.4 machine with ADSL router, which they can dedicate to the FTP use.

Does anyone know how to set one up, so that people (not on their network) can access and still keep it secure...

Mine was set up using OSX10.4 Server software, which they don't want to buy...

All the stuff I have found on the internet only shows how to set one up from within the network.

Any help would be great.

Marcus

For the most basic setup, open System Preferences, then go to Sharing.

All the stuff I have found on the internet only shows how to set one up from within the network.

Sorry - I missed that part. That has nothing to do with OSX. This matter involves your router and NAT (Network Address Translation). On the local network, the Mac FTP address will be something like 192.168.x.x:21. You need to configure your router to translate that local address to the public address and port that the company uses to connect to the outside world. Many routers have a control panel that can be accessed
in a web browser by calling the IP address of the router. Check the router's manual for details.

Once that is done, you can go back to the very simple FTP services in System Preferences. If you need a bit more options for FTP serving in OSX, try this link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back