Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Setup a Wins Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
GB
Hi, I was having problems with a really slow network involving word, I have now resolved this issue by removing all traces of Netbios. The problem now is that I have to replace this with a Wins Server. This I have installed but do not know how to set it up, can anyone help please.

Kevsel

WINS is really an install it and forget it kind of service. Once installed, you need to set your clients up to register with it (in TCP/IP properties, WINS server section) and that's it. There's really no setup involved.

Serbtastic

Thanks for your prompt response, I have gone to all the PC's and added the IP address of the Wins Server but is there anything I have to do on the Wins Server to add the old netbios names also do all ip addresses have to be static, at the moment they are all DHCP assigned

You don't have to do anything with your WINS server, but you will have to add a couple of options to your DHCP scope (option 044 WINS Server and 046 WINS Node Type).

Then, reboot your clients, and they should start registering with WINS.

What are you're clients? If they are w2k and later, you won't need wins at all. Wins is only for 98se and earlier. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Trust time, for it tends to provide sweet ways out when facing bitter difficulties"
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616), Spanish writer
Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back