Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup a VPN tunnel with sonicwall? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbuk

Programmer
Jul 6, 2012
GB
Hi,

I try to setup a VPN for my company but I don't get it very well.

I'm aware of the encryption 3DES and SHA1, I think it's better to use a L2TP instead of PPTP.
But I don't know very well how I can setup a new vpn with a sonicwall. Because I need to use a static IP which is to already used (how to know). How can I permit the access for the remote device? Do the clients need a user profile ( with username and password) to connect to the network or do they just need the shared key and the ip address...

So many questions... THanks

Sonicwall VPNs are very easy to set up, IF the client is using Windows. For an excellent set of how to documents I suggest performing the following search: "sonicwall vpn site: BTW< I like the site fuzeqna.com for Sonicwall tutorials. If you haven't already, I suggest reading the Sonic OS guide for your system as it will answer a lot of your question. Then look at the tutorials.

You will need to configure the VPN in your Sonicwall administration. Export the configuration and have the clients import it into the client. You will also want to create a group of VPN users which will be referenced in your VPN setup.

I do recommend 3DES SHA1 (AES is better if it is available) over L2TP because it is both easier to set up and in my opinion more secure. Having a static IP for your server is helpful, in that it is easier to find the server but I don't understand your question of "how can I permit the access for the remote device?"

Thank you for the website, it's a very good tuto. And I have the answer with the site about the last question.

Thanks again.

(Elementary user)

I'm using IP Securitas successfully from to connect via VPN

However, when staying in some hotels, the VPN connection is unable to open the tunnels.

Could it be that VPN requires certain outgoing rules (in the hotel's firewall) to allow me to connect e.g. Port 22?

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back