Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to setup a remote access computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbear1982

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
DE
I need help setting up my computer in office so i can connect it while i'm on my trip to other country through internet.

Any help will be appreciated. Pls tell me the prog names if they r needed...

thanks in advance

PC Anywhere would be a good start.

Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

I love PC Anywhere. We used to install it on all of our client sites for ease of connectivity to solve problems without speaking to the user so much over the phone. it is real easy and also has a file transfer module that is really cool and easy for transfering files.

PC Anywhere is big and bloated. Use Remote Administrator 2.x
for internet connectivity. It fits on a floppy, runs as a service, has integrated NT security, or prompt-for-password connectivity - and is faster than any other client. (we've tried them ALL..including VNC).

I cannot recommend this tool enough for remotely administering a PC over TCP/IP. It will not connect modem-to-modem natively, but once a connection is established - you can run it.

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Does it support file transfer? Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net

My company used for a long while pcAnyWhere and I can tell that's not as good, especially over slow connections. And from time to time computers became unreachable. We switched to MS Terminal Server. We're amazed about it's robusteness and speed !

Yes it does. Full Control of Screen, View Only, File Transfer, Telnet, and Shutdown.

It's soo much faster too. It doesn't take forever to draw the screen over dial-up connections either. Try it out - it's really easy to setup and use.

I dont know how PCAnywhere can be so big when virtually the same functionality fits on a floppy with Remote Administrator. All you need is a hostname or IP address to connect.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Cool - where can I download an eval copy? Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net

PC anywhere requires certain ports to be open on the firewall...

Try this instead...
I've been testing it for the last two weeks. It's a way of sticking a PC ( 1 or more) on the internet via the browser. It's not bad.. I have run it under 2K, ME, Linux without any real issues. It's a bit slow at times.. but very easy to use and very stable. Right now they have a 30 day trial going. And yes, you can configure internet printing from the target to the client.

Just a thought

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

VNC is very good. However, there is no file transfer options in VNC.

try NETOP from
i use it to admin about 160 desktops on 9 sites

it is extremely fast and has NEVER crashed a session
it can run in stealth mode so the user doesnt know its there
and it coes with a remote install utill for nt/2k machines
it has a file transfer util and a chat util

it supports ipx netbios and ip
and there are dos clients for nbios and ipx

and no i dont work for them!!

Russ Lunn

PBXMAN,
Where can I Locate the Remote Administrator 2.x software at? I have looked at a few of the options, but am unable to locate this one.

Thanks
Edward

I second sixToedSloth's recommendation of NetOp. It's easy and stable. I've not used that many remote control apps, but I really enjoyed what NetOp offered...

I have to agree with crisc, about the ease of NetOp, But when you are working with a limited budget then you have to look at other solutions.

Edward
MIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back