Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup a network printer in SCO Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2008
AW
I need to setup a network printer in SCO Unix.
Can anyone tell how to setup a networked printer in SCO Unix?
I do not know how to start.

Using a shared network printer on the unix box from somewhere else or unix using a shared network printer on something else?

What SCO Unix?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

No it's an Network Printer with an IP address.
The platform is SCO Unix (Santa Cruz Operation).
I need to setup a network printer in SCO Unix.

The clients use WYSE Terminals that connect via a modem to the Unix server. A modem bank is connected to the Unix Server.

You might need to furnish us with more details on the version of SCO. Primary versions are OpenServer 5.0.x (multiple revisions), OpenServer 6, and UnixWare.

In a very basic setup,(assuming OpenServer5 and an HP JetDirect printer) you can add the printer's IP address to your /etc/hosts file, then run /usr/lib/hpnp/hpnpcfg.
That gives you a little menu, of which you only need to run option #6.

If the printer isn't an HP JetDirect, you might have to install and use "netcat" (or use LPR/LPD). Some printers provide their own drivers as well, but most will respond to either of the above with the correct parameters.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back