Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Setting Windows 2000 Advanced Server Virtual Memory > 10 GB 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysk

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2000
ID
Hi,

Direct to the point. Default installation Virtual Memory of Windows 2000 Advanced Server is 2GB (Min), 4GB (Max). Now on the page to change Virtual Memory, Windows Recommended 11GB, i tried to change it directly, but Windows only give me 4 digits to be inputted. How to overcome this?

Thanks,
Andy
Note : I have edit virtual memory in the registry directly, and after i restart, it seems work. But i dunno about the effect.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server only supports up to 8 GB of physical RAM

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Hi mark, thanks. I am asking about Virtual Memory (Pagefile.sys).

Regards,
Andy

There is a registry entry that allows the use of multiple page files to be added to a particular drive (you can find it the MSKB -- unfortunately I don't recall it -- sorry).
Otherwise if you have multiple partitions, you can split the pagefile between it in order to obtain your 11GB, but this is not a recommended practice.

Why would you want an 11GB pagefile? I would install more RAM first.

Page file is recommended to be 1.5x the physical RAM. If he has it maxxed out at 8GB it's going to suggest around 12GB of page file, so adding more RAM doesn't address this (and would be unusable if he already has 8GB).

If you have 8GB RAM, just forget about PF=1,5xRAM. It is what Microsoft says:
The current algorithm Windows uses to set the default paging file size is:
•If total physical RAM is less than 2 gigabytes (GB), the paging file is set to 1.5 times the amount of RAM or 2 GB, whichever is smaller.
•If total physical RAM is equal to or more than 2 GB, the default size is set to 2 GB.
In this KB article is also about overcoming PF size limit.

I suggest to set it 2 GB and monitor page file usage. You can increase PF size later if needed. Sure, if you need full memory dump on crash, you must set PF size a little more as RAM, but not 1,5 times. Recommendations from Microsoft for this case

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Thanks all, let's put it on summary:
There is no way to input Virtual Memory more than 10GB, unless separate it to multiple volume or through registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back