Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set up WSS extranet access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardng

MIS
May 4, 2006
MY
Currently my sharepoint server is running on MS Window 2003 Standard Edition, with WSS + WMSDE. My sharepoint site work fine on locally(Intranet). I wonder how do we set WSS to access via extranet? Do we need ISA Server 2004? or SPS 2003? We have Fortigate Firewall Installed behind this server.

Can anyone know is there any method allowing WSS Site to access via externally?

Your answer is much appreciated!

Rgds
Bernard
(WSS Sharepoint Learner)

Hi,

I have posted several replies to similar post in this forum, you should be able to find my replies by searching this forum.

Keep in mind that if you need external persons that are not employed by your company you will need the Windows External Connector license (which costs a bit!). Also the use of somekind of proxy is recommended. I am using ISA 2004 for our extranet solution and it is working pretty good.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas,

Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2 Support for advanced extranet configurations, show at below;

(stsadm.exe –o addalternatedomain –url –urlzone default –incomingurl
Some stupid question, can above method allow access via Externally?

Currently I seeking the cheapest solution to get External Access, I believe "Proxy Server" & "ISA Server 2004" will cost some money.

Have u able to set up External WSS access without using any third party software? if yes, please share it and give some pros and cons.

Yes, I have also setup an external solution without any 3party software. I made a standalone installation of WSS and put it on a DMZ zone. I did not make the server a domain member. Communication is done over https (ssl) and only cost that was needed was for the certificate and the external connector licenses.

Advanced extranet configuration does not "automatically" give you external access, it is just that is supports a more advanced setup then pre SP2.

Cheers,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back