Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to set up vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhus

Technical User
May 11, 2003
AE
I've got a win2k server with clients connected over a LAN.
We have a isdn dail up connection to the internet accessed through a 3com ISDN officeconnect LAN modem(does not support vpn) Everytime we connect to the internet, the ISDN LAN modem is assinged a dynamic ip address. Our ISP does not provide static ips.
I'd like to setup a vpn connection for remote clients(from home) to access(one way) our Lan network (resources server, and pc's) across the internet by getting a real ISDN router device that supports vpn.

Can I set up vpn with a dynamic ip assigned by our ISP? If our internet lan connection keeps getting a dynamic ip, how would the remote client connect. does it not need a static ip to connect to?
What ISDN router should I use?
How do I get remote clients to remotely log on(through vpn) to win2k server to access their accounts.

You can get a client for your dynamic IP at .
Run the client on a PC and sign up for free to get something like yourname.dyns.net, it will update that address with you IP every so many minutes.

As for ISDN, you are going to have a terrible cost if stays on long.
Also, what if it is not connected to the net, no-one can get in!
Why not consider some kind of DSL?

As for 'How to...' Read the other posts in here, it's all already there.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks Marc for the info. Is is possible if I got a domain registered with some domain registry and have them forward any vpn requests to our dynamic IP? Ofcourse the remote clients would have to setup up their VPN with our Domain name instead of our IP.

We are planning on letting the domain registry company host our e-mail accounts and have them forward the e-mail to our internal e-mail server.

Does the software you mentioned earlier(" have to automaticly connect to the server and update it with the new dynamic ip address.

If we were to purchase a dsl router and set it up as pass through vpn, do we also have to setup the win2k server with vpn. once clients get through our dsl router is it like being on the LAN and domain, and would they have problems logging on to their user accounts on the win2k server.

I'm just a liitle bit confused about the concept and logic of getting it done.

if my questions are a little bit too much, sorry. Its just that I'd like to get lots of informaion before I start making expensive mistakes.

Thanks

That is possible, just ask the ISp to point the real domain to the dynamic one.

The dyns client is just a little application polling your WAN address at certain intervals you can set and then updates the DNS at DYNS.net. It does not update anything locally on the server, it does not even have to run on the server, any always-on client will do.
There are similar services like but I prefer dyns because it is the only one staying up most of the time, some other ten to go down from time to time and are slow to respond.

If you go for DSl, the router and service you choose will determine how it will work, it is a bit difficult to start guessing. I recommend you check with your ISP FIRST on what they can offer (do they let VPN pass through? Some don't.
Some routers have build in VPN support, if you take one without, that's fine to but then your server has to do it.

I also recommend you go for some kind of firewall to shield your LAN from intruders, because once you open up your LAN, it gets dangerous, ISDN or DSL, does not really matter.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back