Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to set up speedstrea 4200 dsl router to get to my wireless linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a new windsteam dsl connection and normally I just put my linksys wireless router behind the dsl modem and configure my port forwarding and stuff on the linksys so I can access my stuff from outside. But, this new dsl came with a speedstream 4200 dsl "router" . What is the best way to set this system up so that i can do my port forwarding on my linksys like i normally do? I just want my incoming traffic to route to my linksys and handle it from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If thats a better way to do it, please let me know what you'd recommend. Im only doing it my way because thats the only way ive ever done it...

thanks, ill take a look at those. my primary goal is to be able to get to my ip cameras and servers from outside, so im trying to figure the best setup to allow me to port forward incoming requests to my internal hosts. Ill dig through those links and see what I can find.

thanks again.

Windstream network tech here. If you are doing port Forwarding the best way is to put you 4200 in bridge mode by pluging in to the 4200 and using IE goto 192.168.254.254/brgmode.htm Then put you Linksys in to PPPoE mode and put you username and password in the Linksys. Then you can setup the port forwarding in the Linksys. Also look and Enable UPnP if not on in the Linksys. Some times the UPnP will open the ports for a cameras so you don't have to do it.

that would be nice, not to have to mess with all those ports. Not too bad with one camera but I expect to have 5 or 6 on this one..

it looks like ill be trying that briged mode.. thats closer to what im used to so i might be easier in the long run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back