Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set logon name on startup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFixes

Vendor
Dec 21, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm hoping this is an easy question. I am running Goldmine 6.7 on a shared network resource. I would like to learn how to set the DEFAULT logon name to be one of my choosing. Right now when you start Goldmine from any of the workstations, the logon name appears but it seems to populate from some setting inthe windows registry. Does anyone know how to change the setting so a certain logon name appears on startup?

Any information is very helpful.

Thank you

JoeFixes
(but only if it is broken)

1. Right-click on your GoldMine icon
2. Select <Properties>
3. Edit the "Target: " value to include " /u:USER-LOGIN-NAME " after the path to GMW6.exe
Example...
Target: G:\GoldMine\gmw6.exe /u:pAULR
This will now login with this username instead of the default Windows userid.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Thank you Doug.

It of course works and I look like a genius.

I appreciate your help!

JoeFixes

This is a question for Goner.

I have the same problem but with GM 5.5. I tried the fix that worked on the posted problem but it doesn't work for me.

My wife uses GM 5.5. When she got a new computer I moved the application and during the installation. I must have identified her as Debbie D. Now when she opens GM the default name is Debbie D instead of Debbie and she has to delete the extra letter to open GM. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

5.5's no problem. The same thing should work fine for GoldMine all the way back to version 2.5a.

Debbie D is probably just her windows username...

What's your shortcut line look like?

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Goner:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here's the shortcut line in the target box:
"C:\Program Files\GoldMine\gmw5.exe"

When you click on the GM icon the splash page opens with the username DEBBIE D. She doesn't use a PW. In order to open the program you have to delete the final D.

I also checked the GM.ini file. Here's the contents:
[GoldMine]
User=DEBBIE
UserLog=1
SysDir=C:\Program Files\GoldMine\
Exclusive=1

It seems like the tip that worked for JoeFixs should work here as well but for some reason it won't. When I add the username switch it won't accept it says the file name is invalid and won't accept the change.

Why I don't know. Any thoughts?

Goner:

That was the problem. I made the change and it worked like a charm. Many thanks for your help!

Best regards,

No problem! Note that you can also add /p:pASSWORD to the shortcut to have it enter her password for her too.. Of course, then her password is viewable to anyone who knows to look in the properties of that shortcut.. If you have good physical/etc. security, though, this can really save the user a lot of time each day...

:)

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back