Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to set default value of my autocomplete combox control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontyell

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hi,

I am building this Autocomplete list ActiveX control for my ASP application. Basically it only contains a combobox in VB (style: 1 simple combo), populated with data from SQL server, but it has the auto complete function. (Since I think there is no such function in HTML drop-down
list). It works fine on my ASP page. But I am thinking to implement one more thing in my ActiveX control.

Every time when I select an item in the control and submit it to the server, the same asp page returns with the control and the additional information about the item. Now I need the selected item value be the default value of the control (like set to the combobox.text in vb). I set a property "combotext" of the control, assign it with the select item when submitting the page. But the problem is that when the page returns, a new instance of the control is created, since I loaded the combo items in usercontrol_initialze(), and I have no clue how I can set combobox.text by passing some external data in the initialize event.

To make myself clear, what I want is to set the combobox default value to some user-passed value. And it is not possible in usercontrol_initialze() event since it does not take any parameters. The dilemma is that I need this value set in somewhere like the usercontrol_initialze() that setup the control at design time.

Is it possible or is there any workaround?

I would really appreciate your help.

cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back