Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO SET A USER WITH READ/WRITE ACCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

terenceb

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
Hi All,

I am new to Solaris 8 and Sun 880 Sun Fire.

I need to set us a new user on my system with read write acces to certain folders. How is that done?

maybe add the user to the group who owns the folder and set group settings to rw?

Can you give me an example of how that is done?

man usermod --- to add the group
man chmod --- to change the permissions

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Not really enough information to fully answer your question. But, here is some information that should get you started.

Add the new user to the same group as the "certain folders" owner. You do this by editing the /etc/group file. Change the "certain folders" directory privileges to give group read/write privileges (chmod 775 <certain folders>. If all users that have access need to edit the same files in the "certain folders" directory, you may want to change the "umask" setting to 002 so when new files are created, the write privilege will automatically be set for group.

The standard procedure would be use ACL.

Please See man setfacl for details....

good luck.
-sbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back