Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to send and receive edifact files??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTek

Programmer
Jan 24, 2011
DE
Hi all
Im trying to figure out how to send and receive edifact files. I dont assume that the file is being attatched to an email and then send... So how does edifact files get from one to another? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet and it seems like there are a number of possibilities. I just cant figure out how it acctually works and what the difference between the different products are.
My task is to make it possible for our system to send and receive edifact files. So far i have made a parser for the edifact files but i still dont know how to send it.
Anyone how can help?

WhatTek,

There are several ways to send and receive as you have indicated. Your options will likely be FTP, VAN or AS2.

I am surprised that you would try and parse these out. There are tools on the market to do this.

Are you the customer of this relationship that you are trying to setup? This is a customer driven world controled by the customer.

Having a good tool for the job opens your flexibility to support this type of environment.

I must qualify and say that I am a reseller and a consultant for the products that I have sold.

Tell me more if this does not answer your question.

Ok thanks. Will try and see what solution we should use.
The reason for why im building the edifact handler myself is because I need to make a small program that can read and create edifact files. The program then has to be used by the test team where I work, when they need to create new edifact files.
So far I have made a disasembler that splits up the edifact file and divide it into the segments and data elements. Next step is to make a complete validation of the edifact to ensure there are no errors. After that I will read every segment and place the data in the correct tables in the db. It takes a lot of time but its possible :) I have the time I need and I find edifact interesting so why not build it myself. Then I will gain a lot of knowledge about edifact :)
What kind of products are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back