Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to: Select Idividual Mailboxes for Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2003
US
I have Netbackup 5.1 running on RedHat and backing up the MS-Exchange 2003 server, as-well-as others. It does the full store and, currently, the entire brick level mailbox backup. The mailboxes are taking all night and running into the end of the scheduled window for other backups that fail because they can't start outside this window.
My question is how do I select just the mailboxes I want to backup and have it ignore the rest?
The Netbackup agent gui on the exchange server lets me select the mailboxes, but then the scheduled backup wants to do everything anyway.
Thanks,
Sho

I've posted this before. Say, backing up all the mailboxes "bricks" take's you 24hrs..

If you take those brick and split them into, say 5 seperate backup policies. You can reduce your "bricks" down to 4-6hrs.

create a policies called

(server)_MAIL_A-G
(server)_MAIL_H-K
(server)_MAIL_L-P
(server)_MAIL_Q-U
(server)_MAIL_V-Z

The only thing you really need to be very specific with is the backup policies, "backup selections"

They should be formatted EXACTLY as below with the spaces

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[A-G]*
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[H-K]*
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[L-P]*
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[Q-U]*
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[V-Z]*

This drastically reduced our mailbox "brick" backups

You also need to setup a special backup for the Exchange Public folders if you haven't

create policy named Public_Folders

within the policies "backup selections" you need to specify

Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\

This way you can restore people's folder or calendars without dicking around with the information store's

Ryan

That's ONE backup policy per
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[A-G]*

Ryan

Thanks for the post Ryan,
Yes I saw your other posts regarding splitting up the mailboxes per policy, but my question was actually how do you select individual mailboxes and NOT backup the rest. The method you described actually still backs up the entire set of mailboxes, but simply splits the task rather than do them all in a bunch.
I want to backup only financial and executive mailboxes and not the janitor's.
Thanks again,
Sho

Run the regular mailbox backup then as it's running you can click on details and you will see the file path it's currently backing up. You should have time to write it down and use it in your new backup policy

It should look something like below. You might have to mess around with the file list

/Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes/Doe,John[Doe John]/Top of Imformation Store/

Sweet mother of mercy! I see, I was hoping to be able to check off the mailboxes I wanted with a GUI or something, but I guess I'll have to work at it instead. I've created the split policies as you suggested before in hopes that I can at least buy a little time on this bloody project.
Thanks again,
Sho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back