Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to see if Hyperthreading is enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2004
CH
Hello there

Is there a possibilty, e.g. using a script, to see if my server is having hyperthreading enabled or not?

thanks and greets

If you bring up the Windows Task Manager by pressing the CTRL-ALT-Delete keys simultaneously,
you can select the Performance tab which will show you CPU Usage and CPU Usage History. When
Hyperthreading is enabled, there will be two CPU Usage History graphs shown. When Hyperthreading
is disabled, there will only be one CPU Usage History graph displayed.

Tim
MCSE 2003
HP APS

If hyperthreading is enabled you will see 2 x CPU usage graphs for each CPU installed. ie:-

1 CPU = 2 graphs
2 CPUs = 4 graphs.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Thanks for your ideas, but when I see 4 CPUs, from where do I know that on this System HT is enabled??

To the best of my knoweldge Windows doesn't have anything to show you if hyper threading is on. When it is turned on everything will show you that the virtual processors are the same as the actual processors. I'm afraid to say that I think you'll need to check the BIOS setting.

Check with your hardware vendor, they may have something that they can provide which can tell you.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

You can check out this Hyper Theading Test utility:
The easy way to see if Hyper Theading is working is to do this:

1) Determine how many physical CPU's your machine has. You can either open the server up and look on the Motherboard...or look at the BIOS screen during boot to see how many CPU's are detected.

2) In task manager look to see how many CPU are listed. If you see DOUBLE the amount of CPU's in task manager compared to your physical CPU check, you have hypter theading enabled. If in task manager, the number of CPU's shown equal the number of physical CPU's, you do NOT have hyper theading enabled.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back