Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to secure evaluation version of ASP application ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergeiY

Programmer
Feb 13, 2003
AU
Hi

I posted this question in ASP forum as well but didn't get any responses yet so I am reposting it here:

I need to make a demo version of my ASP/MsAccess Application. I want to be able to give it away to people so they can install it use it for some time let's say 30 days and then it will not function or will pop up a message or whatever ...

My application written in classic ASP and MsAccess/SQL Server 2000 and couple of third party ActiveX components...

I came up with couple of possible scenarios I can do it but they all will not withstend a proper programmer/hacker:

1) Store a flag in DB or win registry when evaluation period should expire (can be hashed or encripted) then check it from ASP. This is easy to find for a programmer ...

2) Same as first option but write an axtiveX component that will check it so at least implementation of the check will be hidden but then for an everage ASP programmer it will be easy to get rid of these calls from ASP

3) Same as second option but encrypt ASP pages that make this check (using ASP encryption) but once again this can be decrypted and then traiced to remove all activeX calls

Can anybody suggest any other ideas ??? Have you done something simular in the past ?

Sergei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back