Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to secure domain server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlh1

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
We have 7 2008 r2 Active directy domain server one in each remote site. They are not read only domain controllers. I would like to limit who can login to the console to only the domain admin users.

I have tried to use the default domain controller policy. I modified the “deny logon locally” policy and added a test group. Once the policy updated too all the controllers I tested the new setup. When the users in the test group tried to login to their locale systems using their domain credentials they were unable. When I removed the test group from the GPO they were able to login to their systems again.
How can I lock down the remote domain controllers so that only the Domain admins can login to the console?

Out of the box you cannot log onto a Windows 2008 R2 server unless you are a member of the Administrator group or have specifically been given the "Allow Log on Locally" right in the security policy and added. On a domain controller by default that is the Administrators, Account Operators, Server Operators, Print Operators, and Backup Operators groups. All you should have to do is remove the unnecessary users/groups from that policy and those groups.

I wouldn't recommend modifying any of the default policies (Default Domain Policy, Default Domain Controller Policy) as this can have unintended consequences. Make a copy of the policy and modify it instead.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back