Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Search by typing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm trying to build a app that has a form databinding all fields to the table I will edit.

In order to fill these objects with data I will need to open a separete form with a search funtion by:

name:
City:
St:

The idea is to list, on a selectable list object bellow these fields, the data related to the search to be performed without a search button, just by typing on one of the fields, the search will be performed.

I believe a timer will be necessary to implement a wait limit to the search so when the user types Mi on the city field for example and them type nothing for 3 seconds the search is trigged and the list will show itens on the databse as: Miami, Milanca and so on.

Then I will fill the form behind with the selected result in my search.

Any input will be appreciated.

The Kerb

i catch the key strokes the user types into my search bocx, and look for them pressing tilde (`).

if they press tilde the search is performed

so user types Mi` and the search is done

set e.handled = true to stop the tilde being written to the search box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back