Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to schedule the 2nd workday of the month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo23

Programmer
Jan 27, 2004
US
Hello all,

The title just about says it. Has anyone been able to schedule a workflow to run on a certain workday of the month? Not calendar day, for instance I need a workflow that runs only on the 2nd workday of the month meaning next month (April) the workflow will run on the 4th, in May it will run on the 3rd, etc. Informatica's scheduler is limited in this respect. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jisoo23

Well, you are asking for something quite specific, so INFA will not have thought of it at the time ... :)

You could update the scheduler-table in the repository for the starttime of the workflow, but this will probably invalidate INFA support.

How about running the workflow daily and use a joiner on a special calendertable that holds all the dates relating to the second workday of the month. You could manipulate the flow to only give any output if the sysdate matches an entry from the special calendertable (will only work with an update strategy of course). On all other days the workflow will not generate output, thus having no effect on the target.

Just my 2 cents...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Yeah it looks like I'm going to have to go that route with a special calendar table. I'm using a separate mapping to run every day that will check the current date against the calendar table. When the dates match up, it will do a touch and put a trigger file in a specific directory. Meanwhile the main mapping will be on eventwait for that trigger file. Was hoping for something easier but alas, it just wasn't meant to be =/ Thanks!

Hi:

If you want to run the workflow on every 2nd day of the month just follow the steps:

1) goto workflow-> edit.
2)in that goto scheduler tab
3) click the icon next to scheduler and a pop up windor appears
4) click schedule tab again on this window
5) click run on server initialization. then click customized repeat and edit
6) change the options so as to run on the 2nd day of each month. for more details refer the Workflow Administration guide along with PC

Hope that helped

Samit

Thanks for the suggestion, but if you read the title it's the 2nd 'Workday' of the month, not just the 2nd day. I've already solved this issue utilizing a calendar table internal to the company's database =) If only if it were that easy!

You could maybe use a scheduling tool if you have one. Say something like Appworx. This is a good tool and gives a whole lot of options related to scheduling.
Maybe worth investing if the DW you are involved with is a huge one.
BTW.. Blom0344's suggestion is a good one considering that you dont have alternatives.

Yeah, actually that's what I meant. I used a variation of Blom0344's method....I have a separate session that runs every day which compares the current date with the 2nd workday of the month listed in the special calendar table set up for me. Once the dates match up, it touches off a trigger file which an eventwait on the real workflow finds and kicks off the real work =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back