Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to schedule a secure file transfer SSL/HTTP for Win/Linux/Mac ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dissed

Programmer
Jul 30, 2004
CA
I am trying to find a way to schedule a secure file transfer using SSL over HTTP for remote clients (not part of our company) on Windows, Linux, and Mac to our web server or an online web server service. Our web server is Windows 2000 and IIS. I have a small budget.

The XML file(s) involved may only be 1-2 MB per day per client.

I do not want to do client side programming/ scripting (especially unique programming per platform and OS version)
We will get the non tech-savvy clients to do the install and configuration – “setup and forget”.

Important:
-File integrity - confident that the file sent was completely received
-Compression of data transfer
-Auto-resume if connection fails
-Have to get the data from the web server to our internal secure network on a scheduled basis – maybe every 30 min… (file integrity important)

Nice to have:
-Access and File Logging on Server to record who uploaded what and when
- Secure folder on the web server that is receiving via encryption? (Or maybe we will just use Windows 2000 built-in folder encryption...)
-In the future may want to have the clients check the web server for new data and then download the file(s), but it would be client initiated either way for security.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I was told by a manufacturer that I can't get all the features I listed using HTTP and I would loose functionality like:

+ restart at failed block is lost
+ check-pointing (pick up where left off)
+ bandwidth throttling
+ rollback -without committing
+ certified delivery

Is this true?

If you use SSL over HTTP and the client and server software are setup correctly you can have all those options I found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back