Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to save user preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp3232

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Hi folks!

I just inherited a DB that is used by about 10-20 different people, and each one in the past has created their own queries and reports (many of them very similar to each other, but with slight differences, such as filtering on different names, projects, etc).

I've changed the DB design/structure quite a bit for flexibility's sake, and as a result the existing queries and reports no longer give the expected results.

What I'm hoping to do is build a generic form with some combo boxes and other input devices to allow the user to just specify their search requirements and click "go" which will build a report for them based on their requirements.

As many of them search for the same thing repeatedly, I'd like to be able to have the ability for each user's preferences to be saved, so the next time they come back to the form, they have the same defaults as the last time they used it (stored locally, not in the main DB, so that each user's prefs are personalized).

Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Thanks!

asp

Storing information in the front end is a very bad idea. If you develop a new report or query you will not be able to circulate it as a part of a new front end because the user will lose all their settings if they adopt your new front end.

Consider having a table on the back end database with fields something like:

UserID
FormReportName
UserFilter
UserSortOrder

Then when a form or report opens the OnOpen event can get the last settings for that user from the central table and apply them.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back