Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to run a program without logging in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveBell

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
I've got XP up and running fine. I created accounts for my wife and me. I left the guest account for my brother-in-law when he visits.

Now I'd like to get my webcam working again. How do I make the webcam software run at reboot, even when no one's logged in? (Especially when no one's logged in -- my wife wouldn't be able to handle the confusion.) Steve Bell
[sup]There's nothing better than a friend, unless it's a friend with chocolate.[/sup]​

Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim:
Are you implying that installing programs as the Administrator will cause them to start running when the computer boots but before someone logs in?
If so then that is great. I have a couple of programs I'd like to use like that.
Curtis

The Admin permissions allow things to run, before a user logs in. You may have to edit the autoexec.bat to get them to startup before a user. It depends on the program. If it relies on a complete windows GUI to run, it won't work.
What type of stuff are you trying to do? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It seems to me that you should be able to do this with a startup script. I don't know much about scripts etc. but I'm sure that a script would be the elegant way.

Does anyone have a sample startup script for running a program as administrator that we could learn from?

Any good places/links to get one aquainted with scripting.

I'm going to post a tread to see if we get any responses. The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

If you found this post helpful click on the link below and vote for it. I want to win a coffee mug! s-)

For my purpose of running a webcam, I suspect it won't work as a detached process since it probably needs a full GUI.

How about this as a solution:
• Create an account named "Webcam".
• Set up XP so it logs in automatically to that account.
• Run the webcam software from the Startup Folder.
• Change back to the Windows logon screen (this is the part I don't know how to do yet).
I don't like this solution much (it's not elegant), but it ought to work. Any comments? Steve Bell
[sup]There's nothing better than a friend, unless it's a friend with chocolate.[/sup]​

The thing you are trying to do all of you is set an ordinary program run as a service. It can be done with scripts but this method is not so elegant and proper... never mind all the creating of user names, accounts and all that rubbish.
To make a program run as a service there are two ways.
You either learn to do some really hardcore Registry editing (well maybe not so hardcore) or you use the following utility which is free and does the hard work for you...
It's called FireDaemon and the link for it is:

I have another problem....
My internet conection sharing wouldn't run until I log on..same with network (2 PCs, WinME client and WinXP as server with modem). Is there any way that my network works without logging into WinXP, like on WinNT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back