Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to route Extreme over Cisco Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsims1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2011
US
I recently installed my first Extreme switch (x650) on my Cisco network. I created a Sw_Mgmt vlan on the Extreme and tagged it dot1q and the same number as the Cisco switches that utilize that vlan. i added the up-linked port to vlan Sw_Mgmt that is directly connected to a trunk port on a Cisco 6509. I enabled IPForwarding on the Extreme switch and gave the SW_Mgmt an ip address with a 24 bit mask.

All is well on VLan Sw_Mgmt. I can ping any device on that vlan and any device can ping the switch. I cannot ping the switch from anything outside of the Sw_Mgmt 24 bit network. As soon as i change the subnet mask on the Extreme switch to 8 bit everything is pingable across all our networks.

Extreme tech support said i needed to enable something on the Cisco switches to get the 24bit network accessible across subnets. Currently we are routing across subnets just fine on the Cisco side.

Any help in this area would be appreciated!

Let me see if I understand your network and problem correctly.

You have a vlan for switch management, you have cisco switches that are on that vlan as well as this new extreme switch.

On other segments you can ping and connect to admin your cisco switches on this vlan.

You cannot connect to your Extreme switch that lives on this vlan from other segments.

If you are on the vlan itself you can ping this Extreme switch.

IF the above is true, it sounds like you haven't specified the default gateway or route of last resort on your extreme switch.

If the above is the problem then the command you need is:

configure iproute add default <ip address>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back