Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to route certain websites to a different gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosking

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
GB
Hi, Several users require internet access all day and every day in order to do their job. Internet access is normally provided by our proxy server via a wan link. We have put in a adsl broadband line to act as a backup, the broadband router is on the same network and can be pinged ok from the pc. We want the user to be able to untick the proxy setting in IE and internet traffic to head down the broadband link automatically in the event of a wan link failure. Whats the best way of forcing webtraffic to use the adsl conection. Currently if the proxy server details are unticked in IE then the pc routes traffic to the default gateway not the broadband link. My thoughts are a static route entry but will that work with http traffic and how should the entry be made?

Many thanks
G Hosking

I would say create two routes on that gateway and then choose which one is active, if you have that opportunity.
Not sure how to do precisely what you're asking.

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

ghosking,
What kind of router are you using? The reason I ask is because this is easily accomplished with a Cisco router. There are many ways to do it but one would be to create two static routes setting the administrative distance on the DSL link higher than the AD on the WAN link. The beautiful thing about this is that as soon as that WAN link goes down the transition to ADSL link will occur. No human intervention required.

Backup route using Cisco's weight mechanism

Useful link.. Display the administrative distance method I spoke of

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back