Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to rmdir /home after changing to /users

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaasn

MIS
Jun 20, 2003
NL
I like to change /home to /users on a solaris 9 machine. The users have allready the right path in the /etc/passwd. I can't rmdir /home because it is a mounted directory. There are no files in /home. How can I disable the automount of this directory

/home isn't generally used as' users root home in Solaris - it's generally /export/home that is used for this purpose. The /home directory is special to Solaris so I wouldn't mess with it for fear of causing problems.

As Ken says, it is a special directory so don't fiddle with it. On the Sys Admin II course we were shown that it can be used with NFS Distributed File Systems to "share" users home directories across multiple Sun systems.

I hope that helps.

Mike

/etc/init.d/autofs stop
rmdir /home
vi /etc/auto_master -> comment out /home
/etc/init.d/autofs start

if rmdir does not work reboot, due to the edit of auto_master there is no /home in use any more

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back