Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to retrieve users email address

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamaker

Programmer
Jan 20, 2002
US
Is it possible (not a spammer, just like to torture myself with "I wonder if it can be done" types of scenarios) to have an ASP page that retrieves the users email address?

For instance. a user visits a page and that users email address can be shown to them? withouth the use of a form that stores it as a cookie... but similar to the Request.Server variables work...

thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

Where would it get the email address from??? -Phil
fillup07@hotmail.com

Not from any previous user input of information... is email stored and accessible as some type of system/client value that we can read/access using ASP

(and for simplicity, assuming, say, windows xp as an OS and outlook as preferred email client/app)

I don't think that's available at all. If it was, the user might have to Trust your site or something... some sort of Security Dialog Box if you were gonna be looking at the user's files probably -Phil
fillup07@hotmail.com

You will never be able to fetch visitor's email addresses. Think of it - If this could be done, then noone would be able to control their email box from spam and viruses... One would consider such thing as the worst privacy issue...

Another reason is that users intend to have multiple email addresses (hotmail, yahoo and some more free web-based email companies).

Sorry pal...

Shay
---------------
"We'll never give up, it's no use" (Blink 182)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back