Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to retrieve OE6 password? Without calling ISP... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hi folks,

Is there any way to dig into the registry of my XP Pro machine or elsewhere to reveal the Outlook Express 6 password for one of the accounts? I did a "File & Settings Transfer" from XP to Vista but dangit it still asks for the password the first time you use it. It's about a 7-year old account and Windows has been faultlessly remembering it all these years, through the exports & upgrades, without any problem. Now along comes Vista and I'm just supposed to remember and regurgitate this stuff??? Why can't it just take it like XP and shut up???

I know it can be done because I saw a program that advertised it could supply that sucker for $29.95...if you could put a price on my pride to call the ISP ("duh, I forgot my password") it would be WAY less than that. So here I am trying to save face and some coin by asking my tech-heads how it can be done for free.

Everybody have a wonderful Labor Day and thanks for helping if you can.

Tony

Well I managed to figure it out...an application out there called Outlook Express Password by Thegrideon software gives you a "hint" for free...if your password were "bicycle" it would give you "*ic**l*", correct number of letters and all. It was easy to interpolate the missing letters because I, like the rest of the world, have a handful of passwords for our lesser accounts that we jiggle around from time to time, changing here and there, and a "hint" was all it took.

Thanks to Thegrideon!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back