Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to restrict user not to change Text size of browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asif999

MIS
Oct 17, 2002
US
I need this without hidding the right menu or hidding any other menu...just neet to disable the test size form view menu...Thanks

Here it is, but you might want to read some of the discussions about changing peoples font sizes:

<style>
body{
font-size:20px;
}
</style>

Rick

I don't think you can. Even if I code the font to be 20px, then the user uses the &quot;+&quot; or &quot;-&quot; font size option in the browser, it still makes it larger or smaller.

These options are there to assist users. Think of the visually impaired. They often need to boost up the text size.

Personally, I build with pixel size. Then, on a broser with default settings it appears as I want it to. Then if they choose to up the size, that is out of my control.

-----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

I'm just happy that my Opera has &quot;Zoom&quot; function that allows me to set the text size as I want it, regardless what was done on any page in CSS. That's why (but not only because of that) it's the browser of my choice.

If you put the size in a external stylesheet i believe you've locked the font size?

In your html code:
<link rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; href=&quot;wherever/styles.css&quot; type=&quot;text/css&quot;>, before the </head>

and in the stylesheet:

body { font-size: 18px}

You could also create a class like this:

in the stylesheet:

.text { font-size: 18px}

and in your html code, for instance if you want to fill a table with 18px text: <table class=&quot;text&quot; ...

It still doesn't &quot;lock&quot; it.

In ie I customeized my toolbar and added the &quot;+&quot; and &quot;-&quot; icons and I test when I build pages and look at it in different size. I know for one, I do a page for an arthritis doctor and HE has to crank up the size to read anything. I am sure his patients are worsE! So I had to take that into account in building the page.

But normally I just build for the defaults.

Opera is good. I like it alot. I am starting to use it more and more. They all have the &quot;zoom&quot; function somewhere. they just don't call it zoom. -----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

You're right - I just tried (Mozilla 1.2a on a mac)...

I thought there was some kind of order and the stylesheet was highest in that order?

Sorry for the spam -

&quot;You're right - I just tried (Mozilla 1.2a on a mac)...

I thought there was some kind of order and the stylesheet was highest in that order?&quot;

was in reply to cian

you should all consider a few factors when designing with strict font sizes. Jakob Nielsen has a usability column on his web site and one of the alertbox as he calls it deals with the pros and cons of forcing font size on the client side. A must read for anyone designing web pages :

I hope this helps. Gary Haran

Cian,

Hmm, I wonder where I got that &quot;locking - idea&quot; from. Because I'm used to percentages, I guess I just assumed that a fixed font-size was fixed.

[surprise]My idea didn't work?[surprise]
I used IE6, and it worked fine. I went into:
VIEW > Text Size >
and selected every option, and it stayed at the 20px the whole time...and what about those + and - buttons? Are those on IE6 or are you talking about Opera? I don't see them in IE 6.

BTW -- Does Opera have a new browser out with javascript enabled? I have Opera 6.03 and it can't do almost anything!

Rick

Ristmo, Right click on your tool bar and see if there is a customize option. Those buttons are in versions as far back as I can remember.

This is one of those &quot;personal preferance&quot; questions I think.

I too feel that Opera can do anything. Realistically, they all can...it's like anything else...once you learn how to use the program, you're golden.

this isn't answering your question, so apologies in advance - but why would you want to restrict your users in this way? Surely one of the best things about the web is that the user determines what they want to see/read and how they view it? Surely the more adaptable the website, the more accessible it is?

I think you're fighting a losing battle in any case. if you want to keep the font size absolute, you would have to make very very sure that it looks the same in every browser..my advice would be to re-think your philosophy!

but good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back